The availability of different types of items on MU is considered the most interesting feature of the game. Besides the normal item variety, items may contain special bonuses that are assigned almost randomly. Creating a ‘perfect’ (as in maximum leveled) item within the game is almost impossible. Since items can be so different, it is quite common to have your own custom set of armor.
The item can have different levels ranging from 0 to 15 on the global servers and often going further on other servers. The item will change colors or even glow depending on its level. While a higher level item is stronger than a lower level item, it will also require more strength and agility to be used.
If the character wears a full set of the same armor, extra effects will be bestowed upon the character. A set with only level 10 or higher items will make small lights will fly around the character when he stands still and gives a 5% total defense boost. A set with level 11 or higher items only will add lines of energy circling around the character giving a 10% defense boost. At a level 12 and 13 set, the lines will become an aura around the character and will add a 15%(level 12 item) and/or 20% boost(level 13 item). The same mechanism of calculating the set bonus is used in the level 14 and 15 items – 25% boost for a level 14 item and 30% boost for a level 15 item.
Items may randomly have bonuses attached to them. They are commonly known as “options” throughout the game. These bonuses make the item stronger. These bonuses, similarly to an item’s level, can be increased using a Jewel of Life.
* Weapons: The bonus increases damage.
* Armor: The bonus increases total defense by a specific value, which can prove to be extremely useful.
* Shields: The bonus increases the defense rate, which affects the probability of the character being hit by an enemy.
A SM wearing a Staff of Kundun+13 in the game.
Luck Items – Items with luck have a higher chance of success when attempting to increase their level (either by using a Jewel of Soul or upgrading in the Chaos Machine). Most importantly in combat, luck gives an extra 5% maximum damage for every luck item the character is currently wearing.
Excellent Items – Items labelled as Excellent are rare and glow the colors of a rainbow, and its text will appear in a fluorescent green color. An excellent item will have additional properties which vary from increasing total mana, to increasing overall damage. An excellent item can also increase in level, have a luck option, and have a bonus option just like normal items. Excellent weapons and armors have different bonuses. Pendants are classed with weapons, and rings are classed with armors.
Ancient Items – Even rarer than excellent items. These items have their defense/damage values increased beyond the levels of excellent items. Ancient items are characterised with text the same color as excellent items and a blue background behind the text. A blue glow will appear around the outside of these items. Each set has a different ancient metal and unlocks different options. The item carries the prefix of the appropriate ancient metal, for example Heras Skull Shield. Each set has a specific metal, and not all sets can have ancient metals.[clarification needed] Along with the same options as excellent items, ancient items can additionally have “set” options that are only applied when your character is wearing more than one ancient item of the same set. The options are unique to each set.